August 9th 2021 | Cheryle Writes
As a lifelong book lover, I celebrate every time I get the chance to sit down to read a few pages. As a mother and grandmother, I relish being able to spread my love and appreciation for storytelling at every possible opportunity. And, as a self-published author, it’s no secret that I love to read as much as I love to write. I firmly believe that books and the freedom to read them should be celebrated as much as possible. For this reason, International Book Lovers Day is one of my favorite days of the summer.
What is International Book Lovers Day?
Every Aug. 9 readers of all ages and abilities are invited to put down their smartphones and pick up a book – or an e-reader if that’s your preference. If you choose an old favorite or a crisp, new novel, what matters most is letting yourself sink into a world outside your daily life. Whether you’re choosing a book in Atlanta, Georgia like I am, or anywhere else in the world, join me in finding a joyful way to celebrate.
Here are five ways to make the most of Book Lovers Day:
1. Get ready for the day by creating a cozy reading corner in your home. Make sure to have your favorite brand of tea on hand (or whatever beverage you like to sip while reading) as well as a snuggly blanket to drape across your legs. In the middle of a heatwave? Forego the blanket for a cooling fan nearby.
2. Share your love of reading. Consider signing up at your local library to read aloud at a children’s group or volunteering to read aloud at a local senior’s center.
3. Start a book club. Make a list of a few fellow book lovers in your circle and then ask them to invite a few more – the ideal number for a club is around 10. In no time you’ll be diving into a new book while looking forward to the discussion it brings on. Need an idea for your first book? Check out my self-published novel, 538: Murder, Suicide and A Mother’s Love, a story about heartbreaking family dysfunction and a mother’s enduring love. 538: Murder, Suicide and A Mother’s Love is available in print on Amazon and Kindle as an eBook.
4. Write a review on Amazon. Reader reviews can greatly increase an author’s reach. I know I appreciate all the reviews and messages of support I’ve received.
5. Donate your old favorites or purchase books for donation. Used book stores, schools, daycares, senior’s homes and libraries are a few options to consider when gathering up your old favorites to donate or when purchasing books for others who may not otherwise have access. Through your generosity, the next generation of readers will be able to embark on the journey of a lifetime.
As we approach Book Lovers Day, I invite you to learn more about me, Cheryle Boyle, and request a free chapter from my book. Then join me in celebrating all there is to love about the written word and embracing all that life throws at us.